1. (used with a sing.
verb) The science of matter and energy and of interactions
between the two, grouped in traditional fields such as
acoustics, optics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism,
as well as in modern extensions including atomic and nuclear
physics, cryogenics, solid-state physics, particle physics,
and plasma physics.
2. (used with a pl.
verb) Physical properties, interactions, processes, or
laws: the physics of supersonic flight.
3. (used with a sing.
verb) Archaic. The study of the natural or material world
and phenomena; natural philosophy.
- 2001 American Institute of Physics
- A mission to preserve and make known the history of
modern physics and allied fields including astronomy,
geophysics, optics, and the like.
- A Science Odyssey
- Then+Now: Physics and Astronomy.
- A Science Odyssey: You
Try It: Radio Transmission.
- Unidata Program Center - Provideing the data services, tools, and cyberinfrastructure leadership that advance Earth system science, enhance educational opportunities, and broaden participation.
- Amimated Engines - Some of
the animations are rather large, so you may need to allow
a few extra seconds while each page loads.
- Antibubbles - What is an Antibubble?
- Brad's Free Software
- For Learning About Math, Physics, and Engineering.
- Bubble Town
- Soap bubble fun and magic.
- Building Big - A PBS miniseries
on megastructures, hosted by David Macaulay.
- Color Matters - Color plays a vitally
important role in the world in which we live. Color can
sway thinking, change actions, and cause reactions.
- Dr.E's Energy Lab.
- Energy QuestTM - Energy
Education from California Energy Commission.
- Exploratorium: Origins:
CERN, the world's largest particle accelerator.
- Take Science Adventure classes at Fermilab.
Hwang - I am not a professional programmer, I am a
physicist. I love physics, and I enjoy playing with physics.
Roller Coaster - This simulator is designed for kids
who want to design their own thrilling coaster and educators
who want to use a cool activity to simulate the application
- OSTI - Office of Scientific & Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy
- Geothermal Energy
Technology (GET) - Subject portal is updated biweekly.
- How Things Work - Think of
this site as a radio call-in program that's being held
on the WWW instead of the radio. A place to find answers
to your questions.
- Interactive Physics - Design Simulation Technologies, Inc.
- The Elements of Machines.
- Jefferson Lab -
A Department of Energy - National laboratory for nuclear
Workshop - Leonardo's fascination with machines probably
began during his boyhood. Learn more about Leonardo on
- The Holographic Rainforest.
- Machine Contest - The Official RUBE
GOLDBERG Web Site.
- Marvelous Machines
- A series of experiments about simple machines: levers,
wheels and inclined planes.
- NASA Goddard Space
Fligh Center - Laboratory for Extraterrestrial Physics.
- NASA's Marshall
Space Flight Center - Solar Physics Group.
First Law - Newton's first law of motion is often
- NOAA/NGDC Solar - Terrestrial
- Paul Marmet - List of Papers and
- Beakman's Electric Motor - I saw this on the TV show Beakman's World and I was
very impressed that you could actually build a working
electric motor with so few parts.
- Physics 2000 - An
interactive journey through modern physics! Have fun learning
visually and conceptually about 20th Century science and
- Physics Central - With Physics
Central, we communicate the excitement and importance
of physics to everyone.
- Physics demonstrations, Science Exhibits - By William J. Beaty, Seattle, WA.
- Physics Resources
- PhysicsWeb.org - Photonics, optoelectronics, optics and imaging resources
- PhysLINK - The Ultimate Physics Resource
- SAO/NASA ADS - The Digital Library for Physics and Astronomy.
- Schools BBC -
Learning Resource for school and home.
- Speed Machines - Fastest Airplane-Boat-Car.
- Sport! Science@The Exploratorium
- What's the science behind a home run? Why do curveballs
- The ABC's of Nuclear Science - A brief
introduction to Nuclear Science.
- The American Physical
Society - Presents "A Century of Physics".
- The Bubblesphere
- Bubbles, bubble blowing, bubble solutions, bubble history,
bubble fun, bubble games, bubble machines and bubble trivia
are found on this website... and you can learn all about
- Virtual Physics Lab
- Wind Energy Technology - The future.
- DC CIRCUITS
- Department of Physics, University of Guelph.
- EERE - Activities, games,
and information about renewable energy technology, sources,
and future possibilities - specifically for kids.
- EIA - Energy Information Administration
- Energy Ant hosts the presentation of educational material
to kids and students of all age-grades and provides a
free and easy resource for teachers.
- Energenius Program -Teachers, Pacific Gas and Electric
Company is offering free booklets to help you teach students
about safety around electricity and natural gas.
- Energy and Science Projects
- Have you heard about the World's First Science Project
- Energy Quest - Energy
Education from the California Energy Commission.
Static Electricity - Have you ever experienced static
Fear not! Physics. Explained. Finally.
- BBC World Service. How to listen to our radio programmes
in your area.
Tables - Cumulative Frequency Tables.
- How Stuff Works - Presented by Marshal
- Jones on Stepping Motors
- Control of Stepping Motors, a tutorial.
Static Electricity - To understand lightning, it helps
to learn a little about electricity.
of Science and Technolory - Background Information
Museum of American History
- Science Hobbyists - A site where
you can explore and learn.
- Slac National Accelerator Labortory - Research explores the structure and dynamics of matter and the properties of energy, space and time at the smallest and largest scales.
in Atmospheric Electricity - Fair weather electricity
is the return part of the circuitry for all the lightning
in the world, and could be an indicator of other global
phenomena as well.
- Soda Bottle Electrostatic
Motor - Billb's Build-it Projects.
Electricity - A Health and Safety Guideline for Your
Workplace or School.
Electricity - Static electricity experiments & projects.
- Static Electricity
- Static electricity is most often experienced as nuisance
shocks, but can in some circumstances cause
- Superconductors - Superconductor
Information for the Beginner.
- The American
Experience - Edison's Miracle of Light - AC - DC:
What's the Difference?
Superconductor Collection - This site illustrates
how superconductors appear under a microscope.
- Theatre of Electricity - Museum
of Science, Boston.